Friday 11 November 2011

Day three and four of prep course

So...we had day 3 of the prep course on Tuesday and then an evening meeting on Thursday night.  I've only just managed to get round to writing about it as this week has been totally mad!

Day three of the course was really good.  We were all much more relaxed and people sort of opened up more so the group activities were more helpful and a bit less intense! We looked at techniques to use and talked more about introductions, introduction books, matching, etc.  the adopter who was helping on the course brought in the DVD they had made for their two girls and it made me cry! The excitement and anticipation in the film really came across and made me think about how wonderful and exciting that time will be. So, all in all, it was really great.  The social workers were all so open and friendly and full of advice and different ideas whilst accepting other people's points of view.  We have all exchanged email addresses and are going to keep each other posted!
The Thursday evening session was definitely the most powerful.  Two sets of adoptive parents came in to talk about their experiences and they were just so inspiring.  Me and L just sat and listened for two hours, totally in awe of them!  If we can be half as patient and kind as they are we will be doing well!  I was seriously impressed!

Everyone on the course agreed that it was really weird going into work on Wednesday!  We're like: "OK, ready now...!". I was saying though, we need to take it one step at a time and enjoy and learn from the journey rather than constantly wondering when it will end.  I think that's the only way you can hope to get through it and keep your sanity!

So all in all, a really excellent course with lots of information and food for thought without being boring!  And after our initial worries, it really wasn't too scary!  Some of the other attendants were saying things like: "I wonder who will be first...". I'm usually naturally curious but I have to say, I wasn't really wondering at all!  I think it just takes as long as it takes!  We shall see if I'm this patient in a years time!

So now we are just waiting for a call to find out who our social worker will be.  The three who took the course were all lovely, knowledgable and good fun so I kind of hope it will be one of those but we shall see!  I will let you know.

All that remains for me to do now is go to bed!  It's been a long, tiring and emotional week and I've got a busy weekend of marking and planning ahead!  Not wishing to sound like a moans old teacher of course...

Take care, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment