Friday 8 March 2013

A tough week.

This week has been the hardest by far. I think this morning I cried my first tears of exhaustion. I'm going to have a quick vent to make myself feel better and then I'll move onto some wonderful positives. Mama has norovirus so I'm basically a single parent and boy do I feel for you single parents out there now! Where do you go for help?! I feel like I can't have people round in case they get ill and running the house and looking after Squiblet 7-7 is just pretty exhausting! She's been great though. Lots of smiles and cuddles and just generally being chipper. She's been refusing food and messing about at meal times a bit more lately.  I think it's because our niece (almost 2) was here at the weekend and she wasn't well so she was refusing her food and putting her head on the table...so clearly squiblet thinks that's the way to get cuddles and attention. Eurgh! It's just annoying that it had to happen now when I'm running on empty! Still, my friend with twins says you just put the food out and if they don't eat it, don't beat yourself up about it, just leave them be, and I guess that's what I'll do. But it's not great when she's throwing things on the floor!

So...positives...I promised you positives and there are lots! Her walking is just amazingly brilliant now! She can do it on her own but she lacks the confidence still. I have made a few local mum friends and she has made some friends at play group and that makes me feel better! I was worried that everyone was so cliquey that I would never find a way in! She is climbing climbing frames and whizzing down slides and she is all smiles and giggles (mostly!). Her emotional intelligence is really developing which is wonderful to watch as it is something which I really value. We have been using Todd Parr's emotions book and talking a lot about people feeling sad or grumpy. Now, sometimes when she is being a bit grizzly she smiles at me and says "grumpy". It's like putting a label on her feelings makes them feel better, it's amazing really. Her speech is coming along too. She is putting more words together now and saying please and thank you all the time which makes me smile. She's great. Writing all this positive stuff is making me feel so much better but I still feel so tired I want to cry! We are having some kind of packet risotto for dinner. The packet says "add hot water". I used to be a Veggy box- cook-it-all-from-scratch type of person! It makes me feel a bit sad.

Oop. Sounds like she is waking up. Today really wasn't the day for a 50 minute nap.  I need my 2 hours!

Hope this isn't too negative.

Must go

Xx

6 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to have found your blog, but sorry you're having a touch time.
    It does sound though like you have lots of positives to celebrate too?

    I also used to be a cook from scratch person...all the time, but now I have to admit to relying on fish fingers occasionally..just to make my life easier but there is no shame in doing what you need to in order to make your life easier.

    I hope Mama is better soon and life eases a little.

    Thanks for linking up to the Weekly Adoption Shout Out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.
      Mama is now loads better and currently tearing about the kitchen with squiblet on her scuttle bug!
      Not often I can write on here when she is awake!
      Things are looking up. Squiblet now has a cold but she's ok. Just requiring cuddles and jelly so no great hardship!
      It's always nice to have comments. I have lots of readers but not many comments so it's really nice to hear from you.

      :)

      Delete
  2. Someone said to me "all your high ethics and morals will go out the window when you have kids" and to a certain degree they were right. Speed, ease does tent to edge some of the 'old ways' out. Hope the illness has passed; its great to find your blog via #WASO.

    I totally love your strap line "Follow us on our adoption journey from filling in a form in order to receive a form to fill in to invite you to an event where you fill in a form...and other adventures..." God i'm so glad those days are over!! Mx

    It won't let e verify details - so hope you don't mind me posting them here: http://www.mumdrah.co.uk - single adopter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! No, I don't mind at all.
    Lovely evening by the fire after a jolly day with Squiblet and now I'm much less tired so the world seems a better place!
    Well done for being a single adopter - hats off to you guys, I have even more respect for you after last week!
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've had a truly exhausting time and I'm not surprised it brought you to tears. The food thing is hard but try not to stress too much because the last thing you want is stress around eating food. Children will eat when they get hungry, maybe leave her with it for a set bit of time and then take it away. In our house if you don't eat your tea and then get hungry there a few items you are sometimes allowed. Toast, a banana, a glass of milk. They're not going to bed hungry then. But there are also so many positives to be proud of especially the naming emotions that is massive progress.

    Thank you for joining us on The weekly Adoption Shout Out, hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Puffin! I needed that today. The banana, toast, milk idea is a good one! I'll use that.

    I don't think I'm too stressed at meal times, it's just frustrating when I'm too tired to clean up all the mess!

    Ho hum...nap time for me! X

    ReplyDelete